Top Tips for Filing Trouble-Free Tax Returns and Refunds
Top Tips for Trouble-Free Tax Returns and Refunds
he tax filing deadline of Tuesday, April 17, 2018 will be here in two months! taking time to organize upfront can mean extra money in your pocket.
Your tax refund can be electronically deposited into your Northern Credit Union account by simply providing the following information on your tax returns:
• Northern Credit Union's Routing Transit Number: 221380936. You can also find this on our website in the bottom right hand corner of the main page.
• Your 10 digit Northern Credit Union account number. It can be found in Online Banking, under the “Profile” tab at the top of the page, in Mobile Banking by clicking on the "About" tab, on your statement, or by calling us at 315.782.0155.
• Specify Savings or Checking, depending on which account you wish to have your funds deposited into.
• To receive funds into an account, your name must be listed on both the tax return and the account. Spouses filing jointly must both be listed as account holders.
• Pull out your receipts for all itemized deductions and organize them by category, such as medical expenses, charitable giving, etc. Start saving your receipts for 2018 now!
• Gather information on all dependents, including tax ID numbers for all. If parents file separately, children may only be claimed by one. If you provide more than half the support of your own parent, you may be able to claim him or her as a dependent.
• Review your W-2 and 1099 forms for errors. Make sure all employers have your current address. You should have received your 1099 interest statements in the mail. They are also located under the “Documents” tab in Online Banking.
• Prepare for next year by reviewing your W-4 to make sure the right amount of tax is being withheld.
• File electronically and have your refund processed by direct deposit. With direct deposit, there's less chance for error and refunds are received faster.
• Remember to sign your form. Unsigned forms are returned to the taxpayer, which might cause late fees and will definitely make your refund take longer.
Reference our handy Account Number Guide when you need to know which numbers to use for various transactions including direct deposits and ACH payments.
Note: Northern Credit Union is pleased to provide members with general information about tax returns. For complete and accurate information, consult a certified tax professional