Northern Credit Union recently awarded $10,000 in scholarships to five students as part of the 2018 Northern Credit Union College Scholarship Program which is done in partnership with the Credit Union Association of New York. The program recognizes students, based on their applications, for academic achievements, extracurricular and community activities, and the quality of their written essay.
With the cost of higher education on the rise, many students look to scholarships as a way to supplement funds to attend college. This year 28 students from local high schools throughout Jefferson, Lewis, and Southern St. Lawrence County applied. “A college education can open doors and help young people develop important critical thinking, leadership skills and technical expertise needed for their chosen career paths. We’re honored to provide these scholarships to such deserving students and wish them the very best as they further their education,” said Dan St. Hilaire, President/CEO of Northern Credit Union.
Each winner was invited to their local Northern Credit Union Member Relationship Center for a celebratory gathering to receive their first scholarship check and a college gift basket. The scholarship will be distributed in installments over the course of the students’ college careers.
The five winners are:
- Tessa Powlin of Pulaski Academy and Central School, attending Nazareth College in the fall.
- Connor Demo of Beaver River Central School, attending Roberts Wesleyan College in the fall.
- Caydee Blankenship of Indian River Central School, attending SUNY Oswego in the fall.
- Allyson Hall of Harrisville Central School, attending Le Moyne College in the fall.
- Emily McGregor of Gouverneur Central School, attending St. Lawrence University in the fall.