At Northern Credit Union, we’re dedicated to keeping your information secure. We’ve recently seen an increase in fraudulent check and money order activity and want to help you learn to spot red flags before making a deposit.
Stop scammers in their tracks and prevent fraud:
- Check for discolorations, smudges, heavy ink or the word “VOID”.
- Look for dates past 6 months, different signatures, and misspellings.
- Don’t deposit checks that come with instructions to send money back. This is a common scam.
- Don’t cash checks you receive in an email. This is also a common scam.
- Don’t deposit checks that have an endorsement typed out.
- Don’t cash checks from unknown or unexpected sources. As the old saying goes, “if it’s too good to be true, it probably is!”
If you’re still unsure if a check is real or not, feel free to bring it into any of our relationship centers, we’d be happy to help! Learn more about spotting fraudulent checks in this informative article.