Northern Credit Union has been helping our neighbors live their best financial lives for over 60 years (but our friends tell us we don’t look a day over 40).
We’ve come a long way since a group of forward-thinking New York Air Brake employees founded Northern in 1955, back when our name was New York Air Brake Federal Credit Union. They had a dream of a safe and secure place that put their best interests and happiness before profits—and now we’re flourishing in the reality of that dream.
As their dream grew, so did we, and we added more products and services to serve our family. In 1982, with steady growth in the tri-county region, we became NYAB/Tri-County Teachers Federal Credit Union, before becoming Northern Federal Credit Union in 1996. Today, as Northern Credit Union, we have a family of more than 30,000 members (and counting)! Our members have taken us from Carthage, Watertown and Adams to China, England and Washington. Near or far, they are still, and will always be, part of the Northern family.
At the core of our organization is an unwavering commitment to improving the lives of our families and communities through mutual value. Our goal is to ensure members are well-positioned for achieving their personal goals and reaching ever toward their dreams.
Every internal owner at the credit union is committed to our mission to create mutual value by providing personalized service and banking solutions, and to our vision of improving the lives of our families and communities in a meaningful way.
Through our eight core values, which we live every day, we are:
- Driven by a common passion to “WOW” our members by doing whatever it takes to exceed their expectations.
- Determined to differentiate our credit union in the marketplace with our dedication to delivering superior quality and professionalism.
- Focused on conducting all business—internally and externally—with the highest degree of honesty, integrity, consistency and ethics.
- Dedicated to ensuring that “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” through effective communication and essential teamwork within, and between, all work groups in the organization.
- Committed to demonstrating a genuine concern for all employees by providing ongoing opportunities for professional growth through a highly collaborative management process, and by treating one another with respect, fairness and compassion.
- Centered on maximizing individual productivity and organizational efficiency through ownership pride and a strong work ethic.
- Devoted to contributing to the strength of our communities through direct employee involvement and volunteerism in community organizations and events.
- All contributing to an environment of having FUN!