Not sure where to get started? Check out our top tips for giving back:
- Do an anonymous act of goodwill. Stick a quarter into a parking meter that is nearing expiration, move a large branch from the center of the sidewalk or replace a fallen item from the grocery store shelf.
- Email your child’s teacher. Thank them for all they do for your son or daughter.
- Volunteer. Take a shift at the local soup kitchen, animal shelter or food pantry.
- Pay it Forward. Tell the person next to you at the drive-thru it’s on you today.
- Call a loved one. Pick up the phone and let someone know how much they mean to you.
- Donate. How much did you spend on dining out today? Donate a matching amount to your favorite charity.
Giving back not only impacts the lives of others, but makes you feel great! Research shows volunteering counteracts the effects of stress, increases self-confidence and offers a sense of purpose. Volunteering can help teens learn about future career paths and gain experience for their resume. Children watch everything you do, by giving back to the community, you’ll show them firsthand how volunteering makes a difference and how good it feels to help others!