Smart S.T.A.R.T. Savings
|At Northern Credit Union, it’s never too early to learn about the importance of savings. Through our Smart S.T.A.R.T. Savings Program*, for children ages birth to 12, Northern helps parents and caretakers teach young children the benefits of good money management. Smart S.T.A.R.T. (Savings Today Are Rewards Tomorrow)® is designed to provide a fun way for children to learn these life-long skills.
The savings program has its own kid-friendly Smart S.T.A.R.T. website, full of resources for parents and age-appropriate games for kids. A minimum deposit of $5.00 must be made to open a account.
Here are the benefits:
- A Happy Birthday letter with 2 complimentary passes to the NYS Zoo at Thompson Park
- 50% off pricing for a week-long Zoofari summer camp at the NYS Zoo at Thompson Park (availability basis, must reserve spot)
- A free toy each visit
- Access to the Smart S.T.A.R.T website
- Invitations to special Smart S.T.A.R.T. events
- Opportunities to win exclusive Smart S.T.A.R.T. contests
Members can fund savings accounts for their children but can limit access until their children reach the age of 18. The account owner is the child, but one parent is listed as the custodian of the account (the parent controls the account until the child is no longer a minor). After the child becomes an adult, the custodian will need to close the account and the funds will be given to the child to open a general membership savings or checking account.
Savings: Your Key to Success
Financial Preparation for the First-Time Family
Sending Kids the Right Money Message